Skip to Main Content

When your kid dislikes your child custody plan

Child custody and support are two elements of getting divorced that plague both parents. Sometimes, the children might accept the split and the resulting custody arrangements while continuing to thrive. Other times, kids of divorce do not handle the new situation very well at all and may display depression or acting-out behaviors.

The problem for Michigan parents with an unhappy brood after divorce is knowing whether to seek modifications for their existing child custody order. We know how sensitive these issues are, and we understand why parents need advice to make the best decisions. If the child is just acting out, changing a custody order may feed this behavior instead of solving the problem. On the other hand, if the child is truly suffering, ignoring the issue will provide no help.

In our practice, we have seen both sides of this issue, meaning that some kids really do need a change in child custody arrangements to enhance their mental and emotional well-being. However, we have also seen children of divorce wrap one or both parents around their fingers just to get their way. How do you know the difference?

Unfortunately, you might need assistance getting to the truth of the matter. We often advise co-parents to seek counseling for their children. Doing so can pinpoint any real issues your kids may have with your current child custody plan. If so, you can then turn to your attorney for help asking the court for modifications. You may also take this step if your current custody plan is unsatisfactory for you and/or your co-parent.

If it turns out that your custody arrangements are not causing problems for your kids, you can leave the matter as it is. This would also provide you with a great opportunity to find out what if anything is the true source of your child’s coping issues. Either way, you can rest easy knowing that you are doing what is necessary to help your child. Keep browsing our website and our blog for more information about child custody and support issues.