Few relationships compare to the special bond between a grandchild and a grandparent. If you believe your grandchild’s parents have wrongfully denied you time with your grandchild, you may be able to obtain a court order granting you visitation. Located in Livonia, the attorneys at Creighton McLean & Shea PLC represent grandparents seeking visitation throughout the Detroit metro.

Seeking Visitation Rights In Court

To secure visitation time with your grandchild, you may need to take court action. Michigan law allows grandparents to petition the court for grandparenting time if:

  • Your grandchild’s parents are divorcing, separating or annulling their marriage, or if they have already done so
  • Your grandchild’s parents never married and do not share a residence. Paternal grandparents may only petition the court if the father legally established paternity and pays child support
  • Your grandchild lives with someone other than the parents
  • You have acted as a custodian for your grandchild in the past year, with or without a court order of custody

Michigan courts hold that parents have a right to parent their children as they see fit. The court will presume that parents are protecting the child’s best interests by denying grandparent visitation time. You must prove your grandchild will suffer, either physically, mentally or emotionally, by not spending time with you. However, if both parents, not including a stepparent, sign an affidavit denying your request, the court will dismiss your petition for visitation time.

Working Toward An Agreement

Arguments between parents and grandparents over the right to spend time with a child can be especially emotionally charged. Our team works to understand the specifics of your case before advising you on what approach to take. Learn more about grandparents’ rights by speaking with one of our lawyers. To schedule an appointment, please call 734-245-9289 or contact us online.

Get Started By Contacting Our Firm

How We Are Different

We strive to become one of the most sought-after providers of legal services in the Metropolitan Detroit area.
We endeavor to meet or exceed the expectations of our clients in all aspects of their legal representation.
We promote a collegial atmosphere in which all individuals are encouraged to learn, improve and excel and to become leaders in the legal, business and civic communities.
We will pursue our belief that individuals with a sense of family and community and with interests outside the practice of law are better for it.
Creighton McLean & Shea PLC

14881 Farmington Road
| Livonia, MI 48154

Phone: 734-245-9289  Fax: 734-422-0461