Creighton Mclean & Shea PLC Attorneys At Law

Do you have to speak to the officer who pulls you over?

On Behalf of | May 12, 2021 | Uncategorized |

If Michigan authorities suspect that you are driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol, they will likely conduct a traffic stop. You will be required to present your license,, registration, and insurance information when asked to do so by the officer who conducts the stop. However, as a general rule, you have no obligation to converse with them.

Talking might only get you into trouble

You should never tell an officer that you only had one or two drinks before deciding to get behind the wheel of your motor vehicle. While your blood alcohol level would likely be below the legal limit after two drinks, this number is not the only factor used to determine if you’re impaired. If you’re having trouble staying upright, slurring your words or have a disheveled appearance, that may be enough to take you into custody. Admitting that you have recently consumed alcohol will simply provide additional justification to charge you with a crime.

Authorities generally can’t perform a chemical test without a warrant

There is a chance that an officer will ask you to submit to a chemical test. Although you have the right to refuse to take such a test, it could result in a license suspension. However, if a blood or urine sample is taken without the proper permission to do so, the results of such a test may be thrown out at trial. Your criminal defense attorney may provide more insight into what might happen to evidence obtained without a warrant.


FindLaw Network

Get Started By Contacting Our Firm

How We Are Different

We strive to become one of the most sought-after providers of legal services in the Metropolitan Detroit area.
We endeavor to meet or exceed the expectations of our clients in all aspects of their legal representation.
We promote a collegial atmosphere in which all individuals are encouraged to learn, improve and excel and to become leaders in the legal, business and civic communities.
We will pursue our belief that individuals with a sense of family and community and with interests outside the practice of law are better for it.
Creighton McLean & Shea PLC

14881 Farmington Road
| Livonia, MI 48154

Phone: 734-245-9289  Fax: 734-422-0461