On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2016 | Uncategorized |

If you have a claim against some person or business, and the amount of your loss is less than $5,000, you might consider filing a Complaint in Small Claims Court. Every District Court has a Small Claims Division to handle… 

claims for money damages that are under that limit. You cannot use Small Claims for personal injury cases or collection of alimony or child support, and the Small Claims Court cannot order somebody to do something (like asking your landlord to repair something.) But if you have a claim for some amount of money, you can use Small Claims Court without hiring an attorney. (In fact, you cannot have an attorney in Small Claims Court.)Most District Courts provide some very helpful information about filing a small claim. The 16th District Court in Livonia has a link on their web site: http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/tabid/103/Departments/16th%20District%20Court/SmallClaims.aspx35th District Court in Plymouth (serving Plymouth, Plymouth Township, Canton, Northville and Northville Township) provides this link: http://www.35thdistrictcourt.org/Civil/Smallclaims.htmlSimilar information is available on most District Court web sites.


FindLaw Network

Get Started By Contacting Our Firm

How We Are Different

We strive to become one of the most sought-after providers of legal services in the Metropolitan Detroit area.
We endeavor to meet or exceed the expectations of our clients in all aspects of their legal representation.
We promote a collegial atmosphere in which all individuals are encouraged to learn, improve and excel and to become leaders in the legal, business and civic communities.
We will pursue our belief that individuals with a sense of family and community and with interests outside the practice of law are better for it.
Creighton McLean & Shea PLC

14881 Farmington Road
| Livonia, MI 48154

Phone: 734-245-9289  Fax: 734-422-0461